How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey_ JD Your Own Question
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 27467
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Zoey_ JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Do i have to pay advice
, is not really, is da***r. she

Customer Question

hi do i have to pay for your advice
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: is not really for me, is for my da***r. she is **years old in has a shop*** case. she needs to go to a court but she decided not to go b*** she is going to have a test . She goes to college.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — C*** Lawyers g*** expect a deposit of about $** to help w** your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure d*** with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 year ago.


Yes, you have to pay to ask a question here on this site. A deposit has been charged to your credit card, which is the only way you'd be able to post your question and read my answer. You would not pay anything more than what you agreed to in order to get an answer.

What's the question you have regarding your daughter's shoplifting matter, and in what US state is this happening?

Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 year ago.

I hoped to hear back from you, but as I didn't, I will provide you with an answer to what I think you want to know. If it turns out that I didn't guess correctly, then you can always reply here on this question thread and refine your question, and I'll be happy to expand my answer.

I think you're wondering whether your daughter can miss court. The answer is that if she is not there, or if she does not have a lawyer to be there on her behalf, a warrant will issue for her arrest. If this is her first arrest and it's a low level shoplifting charge, she ought to be able to come out of this without a criminal record, assuming she takes her court obligation seriously. Nobody's going to be looking to do her any favors if she blows off her court date.

She has some options: she can go to court and reschedule her test. She can hire a lawyer and have a lawyer go to court on her behalf, have him explain to the judge about the exam and then schedule a new date for her. She can call the clerk of the court and find out how to reschedule her court date for a date where she has no test.

How to change the court date varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction, but the clerk of the court will know what she has to do to change the date and will explain the process to her.

If she does none of the suggestions above, a warrant for her arrest will issue and the prosecutor may feel she's a poor risk for the sort of disposition that would keep this charge off of her record. She needs to take this charge seriously, if she expects her college degree to be worth something to her. A theft conviction indicates a dishonest nature, and it is the type of a criminal offense, even on a misdemeanor level, that employers shy away from most.

She should get the date changed and you should see to it that she's represented by counsel on her court date so that she doesn't take the easy way out of the case and give herself a criminal conviction.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The court day is tomorrow. She has a lawyer but I told her to let him know about her decision . She doesn't care. As a mother am so worry about this. She think she knows everything.
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 year ago.

You might want to try to reach her lawyer so that you're sure that he knows the situation. If you call his office this evening, you can probably leave a message on a tape so that he will know she won't be in court before he leaves for court in the morning.

You're right to be worried. She's in her own way and I can't tell you how much she'll end up regretting it if this case results in a conviction that messes up her record. Hopefully, if she won't listen to you, she'll listen to her lawyer.

I wish her good luck with this case.