Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

In 1987 I was arrested of marijuana less than an ounce It…

Customer Question
In 1987 I was arrested...
In 1987 I was arrested for possession of marijuana less than an ounce It was lowered to disorderly conduct ( misdemeanor ) 29 years later 2016 I applied for a pistol permit they said my background shows I'm a convicted felon for sales distribution possession, can I sue reporting agency for false reports I always wondered why I have a hard time finding a job now I know
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
1/27/2016
Criminal Lawyer: Colleen Grady, Attorney and Counselor at Law replied 2 years ago
Colleen Grady
Colleen Grady, Attorney and Counselor at Law

My name is***** have been an attorney for 26 years and I will help you with your questions today. Before you think about suing, you need to find out what your record says and fix it if it is wrong. Can you tell me where in Georgia you pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor? I will then help you to find out what it says in your record.

Tuber island
Tybee island georgia
Still there ?

Yes. I am sorry. I am looking for the information. Will be there shortly

..Administration and Records: (###) ###-####If you call this number to the Tybee island police, you can find out what records they have.

I am talking with tybee court during daytime they are working with Georgia bureau of investigations to get it corrected that still doesn't make it right

Absolutely, but it is important to fix this. So, you want to know if you can sue for false records?

ma'am
can I sue for false records?
Hello ?

http://www.gjp.org/programs/legal-assistance/ This was a difficult question. I could not find much on such a lawsuit. I am giving you this link to the Georgia Justice Project. They do a lot of legal advocacy with helping people to clear up their criminal records. This is a big problem. I doubt that you can sue for inaccurate criminal records. Ask them since they do a lot of work in this area. I wish you luck. Sorry it took so long.

Thank you for your time and information, I would probably think it would be nearly impossible to sue Tybee but I figured I'd throw it out there , thanks for your help

No problem. I wish you luck