Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I'm currently facing a simply battery charge in GA and I'm…

Customer Question
I'm currently facing a simply...
I'm currently facing a simply battery charge in GA and I'm in the military. I have a lawyer who is tell me to consider the plea deal of 1 yr probation $840 fine and plea guilty. Please advise
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
1/27/2016
Criminal Lawyer: CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty replied 2 years ago
CrimDefense
CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty

Good morning. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. Have you spoken with the military and ask if and how this could and would effect your service? Also, has the son been deposed, who was there and if so, did he testify to what was stated in the report?

I have talk to the military. My lawyer told me they spoke to her not the son who is 17 so I'm not sure

Thank you. The decision to take a plea is based upon 1) the strength of the case which the State has and is prosecuting you on and 2) what the evidence shows or what defenses you have, to the allegations. In this case, it will be the testimony of the women, who claims you held her hand behind her back and that of her son, who was present as well. Of course, both you and your brother can testify and present evidence to show you 1) did not hit her and 2) were acting in self-defense, if she was striking your brother or you. You do not have to take a plea and can go to trial and the burden is on the State, to prove the charge against you, beyond a reasonable doubt. You also need to see what effect this will have on your service, so you do not want to plea to anything if he may result in your being kicked out or have a negative effect on you. It may be a situation whereby you need to go to trial, if the plea will hurt and not help you. Your attorney will likely need to depose the son and see what happened here, if he is going to testify at trial, since his version of the story may help or hurt you.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!

CrimDefense
CrimDefense
CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty