Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

On 1/3/16, my ex-boyfriend and I got into an altercation…

Customer Question
On 1/3/16, my ex-boyfriend and...
On 1/3/16, my ex-boyfriend and I got into an altercation that resulted in minor bruising on both parties and the arrest of both parties. On 1/5/16, I plead not guilty to the charge. Had I plead guilty, I would have had to pay a series of fines/fees, had 30 days no contact and no further offenses with a phone-in probation, and the charge on my record. Since then, I wish I had plead guilty for the repercussions seem reasonable having spoken to several friends wrapping up their law degrees. I'd like to avoid the cost of a lawyer since it is a misdemeanor and I have no fear of this happening again to any degree (I have never been in any other situation of this nature, we're both mild mannered people for the most part and I don't fear him trying to contact me or cause trouble in any way). My concern is, will my charges and repercussions be far worse since I didn't plea guilty initially? Is there anyway I can contact the courthouse and accept the previous offer (and if so, who should I speak to)? Is there anyway to settle outside of court (again, we have had no/cannot have any contact so I'm not sure if that is possible or if he would even want to)? What should I expect walking into court; will I be asked straight away whether I wish to plea guilty or not guilty? If I plea guilty, will they just go straight to sentencing? I only have one other offense on my record, a DUI from 4 years ago; with that in mind, what is the worst I am looking at if I plea guilty? I haven't entirely ruled out getting a lawyer and have several contact numbers, but from the past when I wanted to fight the charge, the case dragged out over a year before my trial at which point I decided to plea guilty fearing several more months of wondering if we'd win the case and knowing I wouldn't put myself at risk of another DUI (I was 21 at the time, am 25 now and even if I have had only one drink, I still will not risk driving).
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/26/2016
Criminal Lawyer: CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty replied 2 years ago
CrimDefense
CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty

Good morning. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. Out of curiosity, do both you and he want to proceed and go forward with the case? By that, I mean if you both were arrested then you both are also victims, so does he intend to cooperate?

Hi, are you still with me?