How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Colleen Grady Your Own Question
Colleen Grady
Colleen Grady, Attorney and Counselor at Law
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 555
Experience:  Attorney and Counselor at Law
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Colleen Grady is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son was charged with assault with a deadly weapon. He was

Customer Question

My son was charged with assault with a deadly weapon. He was given 5 years probation deferred. He got a dwi and broke probation. He went to trial and they gave him 6 months in county, ISF, safp. And then halfway house. He completed 6 months in county and ISF is up February 17. He hired an attorney to file a motion for a hearing to modify sentence. ISF says he had been a model probationer and safp would not be good for him. He is ready to be released to outpatient care. His probation officer is not nice. She has said he will do safp at the same facility. The warden say the only safp program they have is for special needs. This is a small county and they have no idea what ISF or safp is. How do we get his progress info in front of the judge?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Colleen Grady replied 1 year ago.

My name is***** have been an attorney for 26 years. I will help you with your questions today. I need to ask a few questions to clarify what you are asking.

Expert:  Colleen Grady replied 1 year ago.

I need to know what county in Texas you are in so that I can determine what you need to do?

Expert:  Colleen Grady replied 1 year ago.

Without know what county you are in, I am only able to give you general information about Texas and diversion court that should be supervising your son's case. What you need to do is go back to the court that sentenced your son for the DWI. In Texas, people with DWI's are put into DWI Diversion Courts. The whole idea behind these courts is to change behavior (not to punish). The court is designed to lead a team to help evaluate and provide appropriate treatment first in jail and then in the community. I don’t know if that reality is working where you are. A motion would have to be made under pursuant to Art. 42.12 C.C.P., Section 18 and 20(a). Have your attorney look at this law and Cuellar v. State, 70 S.W.3d 815(Tex. Crim. App. 2002). In this case the highest court in Texas asserts the relief of “judicial clemency” under Art. 42.12, Section 20. This law gives the trial court discretion to grant clemency if someone has successfully completed terms of probation. Trials courts supervising

Cuellar v. State (70 S.W.3d 815 (Tex. Crim. App. 2002), the Texas Court of Criminal Appeals (the state’s highest court on criminal issues) coined the term “judicial clemency” for that legal relief/remedy/benefit in Article 42.12, § 20(a). The Court clarified that judicial clemency is a discretionary measure that a trial court may grant an offender who successfully completed his probation/community supervision if the “trial judge believes” the offender “is completely rehabilitated and is ready to re-take his place as a law-abiding member of society.”. In other words, judicial clemency is granted based on the offender’s showing of reform or rehabilitation. Take a look at the ISF Manual, page 4, 5, 6 and Appendix B. A court order is needed to get your son released to Outpatient care.

I hope this is helpful. Please reach out if you have any further questions. If you are satisfied with my answer, I ask that you rate my service. I wish your son continued health and success. Good luck to your family.