Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Can a person be prosecuted Possession of a firearm by a

Customer Question
Can a person be prosecuted...
Can a person be prosecuted for both Possession of a firearm by a Felon and Unlawful Carrying a weapon if both charges arose out of the same charges same out of the same transaction?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
1/25/2016
Criminal Lawyer: Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor replied 2 years ago
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor

Yes. A DA typically will charge a defendant with every charge that the facts of the case can make out. In that way, they can maximize the possibility of a conviction. For example, if you go to trial on the case and for some reason the jury were to acquit you of the top count, the DA gets another chance to convict you of a lesser included offense. For purposes of a deal, the DA could dismiss the higher count and offer you a plea to the reduced charge already on the docket.

Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD