Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

21 years ago I was convicted of burglary and recieved 4

Customer Question
years probation I completed that...
21 years ago I was convicted of burglary and recieved 4 years probation I completed that. The burglary was me going in to my ex-wife's house and took some jeweley I had a key to the house. I was drinking heavily at that time and I regret that time in my life. I completed a treatment center and I am proud to say I am clean and sober for over 20 years. I am an Elder I my church and chairman of our church. I would like to know if I can get my right to own a gun back.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
1/25/2016
Criminal Lawyer: Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor replied 2 years ago
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor

When you are convicted of a felony, you lose both your state and Federal 2nd Amendment rights. To satisfy both the state and Federal government, you would need to get a pardon from the governor that expressly grants you your firearms rights back. Pardons are free to apply for and you would not be required to hire a lawyer in order to petition for one. I am attaching the application form here.