Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Is it legal in the state of Florida sixteen yr old boy to…

Customer Question
Is it legal in the...
Is it legal in the state of Florida for a sixteen yr old boy to have conscentual sex (fornication) with my fifteen yr old daughter?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
1/25/2016
Criminal Lawyer: legalgems, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
legalgems
legalgems, Lawyer

According to FL statute 800.04, having intercourse with a person under the age of 16, is a crime for anyone age 16 and older.

That statute is located here:

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&Search_String=&URL=0800-0899/0800/Sections/0800.04.html

However, under FL statute 943.04354, the person convicted of the crime can petition the court so that they need not register as a sex offender. This is recent legislation (2007); https://www.flsenate.gov/PublishedContent/Session/2012/InterimReports/2012-214cj.pdf

It is possible to get a restraining order as a 15 year old is not of legal age to give consent.

What if she recently turned sixteen, does that mske it consensual and legal also can I still get a restraining order on the boy?

Once the child turns 16, then they are able to give consent provided the other person is less than 18.

Similarly, once the child turns 16 it is more difficult to get a restraining order because there is not illegal activity.

Sometimes family mediation (similar to counseling, but focusing on one specific topic) is a more successful avenue in matters such as these.

Information about mediation (alternative dispute resolution) here:

http://www.flcourts.org/resources-and-services/alternative-dispute-resolution/

I hope this information is helpful. If so kindly rate positive so that my customer scores remain outstanding. Thank you and take care.

Here is a link to locate an attorney:
http://apps.americanbar.org/legalservices/findlegalhelp/home.cfm

Should you have further questions please post here to continue our dialogue. Otherwise,

kindly rate positively

as I am an individual contributor and rely on positive ratings to receive compensation for providing the requested information - this does not result in additional charges to the customer, but rather allows the site to credit my account a percentage to compensate me for my time.

THANK YOU!