Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

My kids grandfather wrote me a 100 check He said i could…

Customer Question
My kids grandfather wrote me...
My kids grandfather wrote me a 100 check
He said i could change it to 400
I deposited into my account
It came back as insufficient funds
And now hes saying he never said i could change it and hes calling cops
This is crazy
What do i do
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
1/24/2016
Criminal Lawyer: Colleen Grady, Attorney and Counselor at Law replied 2 years ago
Colleen Grady
Colleen Grady, Attorney and Counselor at Law

My name is***** have been an attorney for 26 years and I will help you with your question today.

Changing someone's check without permission would be considered forgery in Oklahoma. Did someone witness your grandfather say you could change the amount from $100 to $400?

There is a defense to forgery that you acted in good faith and were authorized to alter the check. That is why I asked if you had a witness.

This level of forgery is considered a felony and if convicted a person can get a sentence of up to 7 years in prison. Have you considered speaking with your grandfather and giving him back the money? If he will not discuss this with you, you should consult a lawyer. This is a serious charge.

Please let me me if you have any other questions. If you do not and your are satisfied with my answer, I ask that you rate my service. Good luck.

I had one more thought. If your kid's grandfather does call the police. remember your Miranda Rights. You have the right to remain silent and not make a statement.