Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Counterclaims:Res judicata is generally not applied to

Customer Question
potential counterclaims by defendants, so...
Counterclaims:Res judicata is generally not applied to potential counterclaims by defendants, so defendants are not necessarily barred from raising a counterclaim in future litigation. However, remember that all counterclaims must conform to FRCP Rule 13(e).This rule applies to defendants and plaintiffs correct.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
1/24/2016
Criminal Lawyer: Peter Griesch,
 replied 2 years ago
Peter Griesch

If a defendant raised a claim in a matter, and that claim was litigated, the defendant could be barred from raising against the same party in a future action.

e) COUNTERCLAIM MATURING OR ACQUIRED AFTER PLEADING. The court may permit a party to file a supplemental pleading asserting a counterclaim that matured or was acquired by the party after serving an earlier pleading.
Does this portion of Res Judiciate benefit a plaintiff. In opposition to
Counterclaims:Res judicata is generally not applied to potential counterclaims by defendants, so defendants are not necessarily barred from raising a counterclaim in future litigation. However, remember that all counterclaims must conform to
Criminal Lawyer: Peter Griesch,
 replied 2 years ago

I don't understand what you're asking.

FCRP 13(e)e) COUNTERCLAIM MATURING OR ACQUIRED AFTER PLEADING. The court may permit a party to file a supplemental pleading asserting a counterclaim that matured or was acquired by the party after serving an earlier pleading.
Does the oppose a request to dismiss under res jurisdata
As there has been new evidence discovered.
Criminal Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
I am a DIFFERENT CONTRIBUTOR, as your previous contributor had to leave.
Res judicata applies only to claims that have already been decided upon. If there is new evidence that has been discovered on a matter that has already been decided upon in a previous court ruling, then the proper means to address that is by filing a motion to vacate the decision based on the newly discovered evidence.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer