Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
18321761

I have a co-worker who brings a hunting knife (K-BAR knife)

Customer Question

I have a co-worker who brings a hunting knife (K-BAR knife) to work and wears it on his hip. Is that legal in NY? He has threatened to smack my glasses off my face. Is that legal?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 year ago.

Here's the law with regard to knives in New York State. As you can see, the carrying some sort of a switchblade or ballistic knife is per say unlawful in New York State. Other types of knives would require the intent to use unlawfully before he could be charged with unlawful possession of a weapon.

If your co-worker is harassing and intimidating you and making you fearful for your physical safety, that would be unlawful. If your employer is not concerned about his behavior, you could go to the police and tell them he's been threatening you, that he carries a large knife, that you're fearful for your safety and want a criminal restraining order. He would become the defendant in a criminal case, and he would not be able to have any contact with you or he'd be arrested.

Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 year ago.

If there is more than the one incident where he's been harassing you, the offense would rise to the level of a misdemeanor, but everything I said earlier would still apply.