Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

If I'm 16 going on 17 and my girlfriend is 18 going on 19…

Customer Question
If I'm 16 going on...
If I'm 16 going on 17 and my girlfriend is 18 going on 19 and we have been dating for 2 years can we have sex?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
1/22/2016
Criminal Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 2 years ago
Ely, Counselor at Law

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information only for educational purposes only, and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

For the purposes of this answer, I am going to assume that neither of you live on a military base or federal government property.

The age of consent in Illinois is 17. There is no exception to parties who are close in age.

This means that if persons such as girlfriend and you engage in sexual activity before you turn 17, she can get into serious criminal trouble. It would be best to wait until all parties are at least 17 or older.

Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I want to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Gentle Reminder: Use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please rate when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces/stars and then SUBMIT, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars or failing to submit the rating does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith.