Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

I recently had a situation involving drugs. my relative came

Customer Question

I recently had a situation involving drugs. my relative came to where I am living, found a bag of drugs in my garage, & took it to the local police & had it analyzed, they confirmed that it was drugs. then the police came to the house I;m staying at & said that I could leave hand cuffed or help them with by being a informant. mt question is can they legally do this, & or can they then come back 4 days later & arrest me for possession if I don;t cooperate?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Legal-Kal replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon:

My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to provide general information. First, I am sorry to hear about the situation you are in.

As to your question of whether or not this is legal, it is. Law enforcement often uses these tactics (i.e., using someone to be an informant and threaten them with possible arrest and charges should they not wish to assist). This is because, in the end, you still have the option of helping the police or not. Obviously, by not helping the police, you open yourself to possible charges for the possession of the drugs. However, in the end, you must choose what to do and because you have this choice, it is not illegal for the police to do what they have done.

Any questions based on what I have provided thus far before moving onto your second question?