Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

My case involves what I understood to be an SOC agreed too…

Customer Question
My case involves what...

My case involves what I understood to be an SOC agreed too at pre-trial, but my record says deferred sentence. I have no conviction, so why does my record say deferred sentence?

Lawyer's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

I had a pre-trial hearing for a DV case in WA state. At the pre-trial hearing, waivered a trial by jury, and waivered a speedy trial. My criminal history shows "Stip to Facts. Case Continued Without Finding for 2Years." which I understand to mean an SOC or PDA - is this correct? Bu then the record only says "Deferred Sentence: 2Y"

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
I should add, the record "Deferred Sentence Condition: 2Y"I satisfied all the conditions per pre-trial (DV Assessment etc) and the case was eventually dismissed.My question relates to whether this was an SOC/PDA and the case was dismissed, or a deferred sentence with a dismissal.If a SOC/PDA with a dismissal, then I believe my gun rights are not affected in WA state. If a deferred sentence with a dismissal, then I believe my gun rights are affected (i.e. prevention of owning a firerarm unless re-instated).
1/21/2016
Criminal Lawyer: Colleen Grady, Attorney and Counselor at Law replied 2 years ago
Colleen Grady
Colleen Grady, Attorney and Counselor at Law

Hello. My name is *********************. I have been an attorney for 26 years. I will help you with your questions today.

Yes, your gun rights are impacted. Right now you cannot have a firearm. This is because of the Uniform Firearms Act. The good news is you may be able to get your rights back. You would have to go through a court procedure to do that.

I need some information so I can guide you as to how to go about this. Can I ask the name of the court that sentenced you?

Also, you may be able to get your record sealed. I need to know more about your case. For example, was there a restraining order against you in the last 5 years?