Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

My case involves what I understood to be an SOC agreed too

Customer Question
Customer: My case involves what...
Customer: My case involves what I understood to be an SOC agreed too at pre-trial, but my record says deferred sentence. I have no conviction, so why does my record say deferred sentence?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I had a pre-trial hearing for a DV case in WA state. At the pre-trial hearing, waivered a trial by jury, and waivered a speedy trial. My criminal history shows "Stip to Facts. Case Continued Without Finding for 2Years." which I understand to mean an SOC or PDA - is this correct? Bu then the record only says "Deferred Sentence: 2Y"
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Criminal Lawyers generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Criminal Law
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I should add, the record "Deferred Sentence Condition: 2Y"I satisfied all the conditions per pre-trial (DV Assessment etc) and the case was eventually dismissed.My question relates to whether this was an SOC/PDA and the case was dismissed, or a deferred sentence with a dismissal.If a SOC/PDA with a dismissal, then I believe my gun rights are not affected in WA state. If a deferred sentence with a dismissal, then I believe my gun rights are affected (i.e. prevention of owning a firerarm unless re-instated).
1/21/2016
Criminal Lawyer: Colleen Grady, Attorney and Counselor at Law replied 1 year ago
Colleen Grady
Colleen Grady, Attorney and Counselor at Law

Hello. My name is *********************. I have been an attorney for 26 years. I will help you with your questions today.

Yes, your gun rights are impacted. Right now you cannot have a firearm. This is because of the Uniform Firearms Act. The good news is you may be able to get your rights back. You would have to go through a court procedure to do that.

I need some information so I can guide you as to how to go about this. Can I ask the name of the court that sentenced you?

Also, you may be able to get your record sealed. I need to know more about your case. For example, was there a restraining order against you in the last 5 years?

Ely, Counselor at Law