Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Tosha.. extridiction
, sure. i was pulled over here in…

Customer Question
Tosha.. extridiction Lawyer's...

Tosha.. extridiction

Lawyer's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

Sure. i was pulled over here in wisconsin and officer said i had a warrant in ga, unknown to me, the officer then told me that the warrant was confusing because part of the warrant stated extridiction and the other part doesnt, i have never been to jail until this arrest and the photo they supposedly compared me too wasnt me. they are saying that it is a class u felony, whatever that means for larceny and embelzzzement in ga. and had me labeled as a fugitive from justice but i have been out of ail on 500 bond. the court apperance is called a status conerence.

Lawyer's Assistant: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Criminal Law Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?

Yes

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
1/20/2016
Criminal Lawyer: Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor replied 2 years ago
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor

Are you saying that you are out on bail in Wisconsin just for a possible extradition matter in Georgia and that there is no other Wisconsin case against you? And if so, what's the question that you have with regard to your situation?

Im not understanding how can i be facing extridiction and labeled fugitice for justice when i never knew about these charges never been arrested in ga.

Thank you.

Sometimes people have the same name. And sometimes people use other people's names when they enter the criminal justice system in order to hide the fact that they have previous convictions. So occasionally, when the police run a check on a name for a car they stopped, that name comes back with a warrant attached to it. If it's a felony warrant then Wisconsin has to see if Georgia wants to extradite you.

More to come. Just letting you know I'm here typing.

You don't have to agree to waive extradition and let Georgia pick you up. You know you were never in Georgia and you know that the photo the police saw wasn't one of you. So you can contest extradition on the grounds that you have never been to Georgia and are not the person who ever was a fugitive from justice in Georgia.

You should have a lawyer for this, but it should come out just fine for you.

Still more to come.

What will almost certainly end up happening is that Georgia will fax the fingerprints of the fugitive in Georgia, you will be printed, and the prints will be compared. When it turns out that the prints don't match, Georgia will release its hold and your Wisconsin case will be dropped.

BUT, because whoever this other fugitive is either has the same name or has used your name, this warrant is always going to turn up. So you should also get yourself some official documentation, either from the Wisconsin Court or the prosecutor in Georgia that you are NOT the same person as the one who fled Georgia. In that way, you won't have to spend time in jail waiting to be bailed out again for something you didn't do.