Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

My phone and ipad were seized during a search of my

Customer Question
girlfriends house. Her son was...
My phone and ipad were seized during a search of my girlfriends house. Her son was caught selling drugs and they found a picture on his phone that gave them basis for a search warrant. The items seized were from her room and password ***** Do they have the right to search my items? Or hers for that matter.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
1/20/2016
Criminal Lawyer: Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor replied 2 years ago
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor

Thanks to a fairly recent Supreme Court ruling, they cannot search the contents without a warrant. But yes, if you have internet accessing devices at your girlfriend's house and the police entered with a warrant looking for other evidence of drug selling activity, they could take the property, yours included. But as indicated, they'd have to get a separate warrant to go into the contents of the phone/ipad.