Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Can an arrest that was dismissed without prejudice in 1991…

Customer Question
can an arrest that was...
can an arrest that was dismissed without prejudice in 1991 that did not result in a conviction be allowed to show up on a background investigation for adoption home study?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
1/19/2016
Criminal Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 2 years ago
Ely, Counselor at Law

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information only for educational purposes only, and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Yes, it can. Unless the party expunged or sealed that arrest, it is still part of one's criminal record. The arrest record is not automatically voided if there is no conviction, and remains on one's record and may be pulled up. Thankfully, it may be expunged/voided so that most parties would not see it. Let me know if you need instructions on how to do so.

Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I want to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Gentle Reminder: Use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please rate when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces/stars and then SUBMIT, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars or failing to submit the rating does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith.