Delta-Lawyer
Delta-Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  Over A Decade Of Criminal Law Experience
12711280

A federal inmate at FCI Danbury, Ct was picked up by the

Customer Question

A federal inmate at FCI Danbury, Ct was picked up by the State of CT and arriagned in state court, an appearance date was set, bail was set, the bond paid, and the prisoner was transport to York Correction Institute in Niantic, CT instead of being returned to Danbury. all this transpired on the Friday before Martin Luther King day 2016. She has been held without processing until today Tuesday with 1 20 sec phone call and 1 12 min call on Friday night. No contact since with her family. Why wasn't she returned to Danbury and the feds instead of being sent to York
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Delta-Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

That is very interesting since the entire processing component of the state charges has already taken place. By the way, I am a licensed attorney with over a dozen years of criminal law experience. It is a pleasure to assist you today.

In all likelihood, in my years of experience, this is the result of them not have a transport back to Danbury, or of them waiting to have more prisoners to transport back to Danbury. Budgetary constraints in the correctional world result in odd situations like this that at times seems complex, but actually relate to either not having an extra vehicle for transport or waiting to make the most of a trip by compounding the number of occupants.

In eliminating the most simple (and likely) issue, I would bet that is what is going on - I see it all the time.

The reason it is the likely outcome is that yesterday was a Federal and State Holiday, meaning lack of drivers. This state charge issues took place on the Friday before a holiday weekend - meaning lack of drivers again.

If this persists, however, and she is not transported back within the next 24-36 hours, then something else is going on and it may be necessary to file a petition in the federal court of conviction to ascertain and force the return to her home facility. That said, I would not start down that path until another day or so have passed because this is likely an issue of transport.

Let me know if you have any other questions or comments.

Please also rate my answer positively (three or more stars) so I can receive credit for my work,

Best wishes going forward!

Just checking to see if you have any additional questions or comments. I want to make sure you guys are as comfortable as possible moving forward. Thanks!