How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CrimDefense Your Own Question
CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 27184
Experience:  10+ years defending Misdemeanor and Felony cases.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
CrimDefense is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a friend on probation. we were a couple in gh school

Customer Question

I have a friend on probation. we were a couple in high school and lost a child together. After 20 years we reconnected. I was separated from my ex husband. After reconnecting we had a long distance relationship by phone. And visited each other once with permission from past PO.after 5 years. We is told that because I don't live closer we can't even have any contact at all not even as friends. We did not break any laws. What can I do to be able to have contact with him again?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  CrimDefense replied 1 year ago.

Good morning. Can you share with me why you can not have contact with this person? What are they on probation for? I am just trying to get an idea of what is at issue?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He is on probation for attempted molestation of a child . It happen when he was 16. He is 43 now and has never been in trouble on this issue since.After he told his PO he has strong feeling for me. He was told it was a unhealthy relationship and he was not to have any contact with me. If he does she stated she will send him to jail. I have 4 kids but they have never meet him. 2 are adult the other 2 will be adults soon. I tried to speak with the power but she was rude and stated that if he ever got permission to see me again he would contact me it's been over a year. And threw his family. He was punished for me just calling a year ago and asking her what I could do to help the process so u could at least speak with him.
We didn't break any laws or do anything wrong.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there anything I can do to be able to speak with him again. He was my best friend.we went from talking everyday to literally being told no contact over night.
Expert:  CrimDefense replied 1 year ago.

Allow me a minute to respond.

Expert:  CrimDefense replied 1 year ago.

The situation seems VERY odd. The reason why I say this is because him PO can not tell him who he can and can not date or speak to, based upon what they feel could be an unhealthy relationship. They could only get involved and violate him if there was a condition or restriction on him, which prevented him from speaking with or having contact with a person of that type. By that, I mean if you were a convicted felon or on probation yourself, a condition may be that he not have contact with someone who has that label. Another example may be the issue with having minor children and him not being allowed minors because of his past. However, simply talking to you may not be enough and even seeing you, without the kids, may not be a violation either. Unless he is restricted to a certain area as well, I can not see how having any type of relationship with you is a violation. What he needs to do is ask his PO, if he does not already know, of the terms and conditions of his supervision and look specifically if there is something general within, that prevents him from talking or seeing you. If not, then the matter may need to be escalated to a supervisor, so they can see if his PO is abusing their power and acting outside the scope of their employment or go back to the Judge and get a court order.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Since that one time of speaking to the PO. He has been placed on more restrictions. And dropped down to a lower level of probation having to go from once ever month visits to 2 times a week all steaming from the issue with me. Is it a good idea to talk to the PO s supervisor I don't want him sent to jail for me asking questions.
Expert:  CrimDefense replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the reply. You should not be speaking with his PO and they have no legal obligation to speak with you. He can and should speak with them to get a better understanding of the situation. There is no reason that he should have been placed on tighter restrictions, unless there was a basis for it and I am inclined to believe that something else may have happened which caused this. As I shared, his PO can not tell him he can not speak or see a specific person, unless there is something about them in general, which is not allow under his probation. That is why he needs to know and/or be told, why they did this and how they even knew who you were or anything about you.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My I just say that he hasn't had any contact with me what so ever in over a year. I found out threw his family.
Expert:  CrimDefense replied 1 year ago.

Yes, that is fine and I do understand.

Expert:  CrimDefense replied 1 year ago.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can't speak to him or write to him so how do you suggest I tell him something seems wrong with how they are treating him. I just feel like I have been punished for something. I have no record or problem. I do know threw his family he is terrified of doing anything locks himself up in his home. Has gained a lot of weight an is so scared he just does what ever they say. He doesn't want to go back to jail.
Expert:  CrimDefense replied 1 year ago.

It is on him to look into this. I 100% understand how you feel and you do not want to do anything to get him in trouble. He needs to be the one who addresses this with his PO, if he desires. You shared that you found out through his family, so you may want to simply express your concern and ideas to them, in passing, about what he may want to do and look into, to see if he is actually doing anything wrong.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  CrimDefense replied 1 year ago.

If you needed to speak on the phone, you can accept. If not, we can continue on this page.

Expert:  CrimDefense replied 1 year ago.

Hi, are you still with me?

Related Criminal Law Questions