Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I've been stopped by the same officer 3times. Twice in

Customer Question
Shawnee ks and once in...
I've been stopped by the same officer 3times. Twice in Shawnee ks and once in Merriam ks, which is not his jurisdiction. The first time I was stopped he said he stopped me for an obstructed tag. I was pulling a trailer that he told me I would need to tag. Trailer is under 2000lbs and single axel. The stop left me with a driving on a suspended. I took it to trial and lost and I appealed it and plead to a lesser charge. Second stop he once again stopped me after running my tag and recognized me. That stop left me a driving on a revoked. In his system I was on a revoke but should not have been and I've sence had it corrected and have a report to prove it. As you can guess. I'm taking it to trial. Finally the same officer pulled me over outside his jurisdiction and I recorded the entire stop. I wasn't issued a ticket but do have him on video. Is this harassment?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
1/18/2016
Criminal Lawyer: Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor replied 2 years ago
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor

In what us state is this occurring?

It certainly seems as if the police officer is singling you out. On the other hand, police officers routinely run license plate checks to target drivers who should not be on the road because their license or their registration has expired.

Here, in at least two of the three occasions, there appears to have been a lawful basis for the stop. All the police need to stop a car is an articulable suspicion that something is "off." If they pull you over for a suspended or revoked license, that's more than enough reason to lawfully stop your vehicle.

It's the third stop that indicates that the police officer may have it out for you. If you are committing an offense in his jurisdiction, he can pursue you into the next one to make the stop, but otherwise, unless there's a cooperation agreement between jurisdictions, he would appear to be going out of his way just to badger you. The fact that he didn't issue you a ticket is very much in your favor.

You should report the officer for harassment to his immediate superior, to the chief of police, to internal affairs and to your State Attorney General in order to initiate an investigation into his professional conduct.