Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I missed court owing money my po told me I didn't need to…

Customer Question
I missed court for still...
I missed court for still owing money for probation my po told me I didn't need to report anymore but I missed court because they sent it to wrong address
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/17/2016
Criminal Lawyer: Colleen Grady, Attorney and Counselor at Law replied 2 years ago
Colleen Grady
Colleen Grady, Attorney and Counselor at Law

Hello. My name is***** and I have been an attorney for 26 years. I will help you with your quesitons.

I will need to ask you a few questions.

Are you still on probation? What are you on probation for? A felony, misdemeanor?

How do you know you missed a court date?

Did you move? Is that why the notice went to the wrong address?

What is the name of the court that you were supposed to report to in Pennsylvania?

No I maxed out on November 15th and my po told me was good didnt have to go back and it's a misdemeanor

How do you know you missed a date?

Was in the newspaper wrong address though

Have you spoken to your PO?

What exactly does it say in the newspaper?

What County in PA is the court in?

No because he said I was done I called the court house and they put me through to collections she said if was the other judge she could just have a new court date reset but the one I have likes to see his people and I could turn myself in or take my chances of not being picked up and come to the collection office the next time he has court I would of went in the first place if I would of got something in the mail
Clearfield co.

Do you still owe money? Is that why you needed to be in court?

supervision fees
Newspaper said my name a bench warrant was issued for failure to appear but was sent to my old adress
You still there

Did you notify the court that you had a new address? If so, how did you give them that notice? Did they ever send anything to you at the new address? If so, do you still have it?

Is this a domestic relations case?

No I just reported my new address to my po when I was still going
No I told you it was a misdemeanor
Well this isn't going very well

You need to contact your PO and tell him what happened. You is the one that can clear up the fact that he told you not to report. Also, he will have your new address on file and will be able to tell the court you gave him the new address

The PO should appear with you in court.

Decide on a day to meet your PO and go to the court together.

If everything you say is accurate, the court will vacate the warrant and you can pay your fees

You will then give the court your new address yourself

The PO has to make this right for you

Why would the collection ladie tell me to go there

You could go to her but I think it is important that you go with your PO. They can lock you up because of the bench warrant. You want to make sure you have that cleared.

I still owe,,2000 dollars

The link I just sent you is a place you can look to see if you have a warrant in the computer system.

Do you have a payment plan with the court?

Were you supposed to pay by a certain date?

but I couldn't pay it all the time because I pay childsupport to and was still a am trying to hold down a job

I understand. Are you able to pay anything now? You could make a payment before going back to court. You can do this by computer. Here is the link. That will show the judge good faith: https://ujsportal.pacourts.us/ePay/SubscribedCountyDetails.aspx?CountyName=Clearfield

Not sure on that but I imagine so or I wouldn't of had a court date

As soon as you can, you need to pay something. You need to go to court also before you are picked up by the police on the bench warrant. If you get picked up by the police they will put you in jail until you can see the judge. The judge may decide to keep you in jail for a period of time if not satisfied that about why you did not come back to court.

I will probably pay somthig in it when I go but it wont be alot

You have to pay something. You also have to go to the court to clear the warrant and explain your circumstances. Ask for a payment plan and never miss a court date again.

Were you represented by an attorney in your case before your sentencing?

http://www.midpenn.org/ Here is a link to free legal services in Clearfield. You will have to meet some low income requirements for them to help you. You should contact them.

Why would my po not tell me anything like this would happen I might possibly have it all or close to it in 3 weeks but don't want to bite my tongue I went faithfully 6year s and never been revoked just want done
Public defender

I am not sure but you need your PO to help you.

Contact the public defender to help you. This is still part of the case. Call them on Tuesday.

This is the first time I ever missed court

If you have that good of a record of following your probation and never violated the conditions, I think you will be ok. You need to get yourself to the court this week.

Do you have any documents of when you moved? If so, bring them to court.

Don't wait until you have all the money. Pay what you can this week. You can do that online. Then go to court and let them know when you will have the rest. Have your public defender represent you.

I moved like 2&1/2 months before I got off

When was your last court date?

Was it before you moved?

I did call the public defender and they gave me a line like they can't until u turn myself in

I don't like the answer they gave you.

December,17th

Is that the date you missed? If so, for the court date prior to that did the court tell you that you needed to come back to court on Dec 17th?

Before I moved no

OK. I really would feel more comfortable for you if your PO or an attorney was with you when you returned to court. This needs to happen this week. Give me a minute to think

Contact the MidPenn Legal services lawyers I gave you in the link above. Call tomorrow. They may be in. If not, call Tuesday.

Here is the number to the Clearfield office. It is on Locust St: ***-***-****

If they can't help you you can ask them for another Pro Bono referral. Pro Bono means you don't have to pay,

Is there a law school near Clearfield? Sometimes they have free community clinics

No and that's the only court date I missed I was on probation 6 years and when I went my last time witch was my max date on November,15th my po said ok your done u don't gotta come back I knew I still owe money just figure d had time to pay it then after New Years I was in paper for missing court on December 17th cause I didn't get anything at this address

That is why your PO should help you. The first step is to call the PO this week and ask for help

You have an excellent record. There is no reason why the PO would not want to help you.

You need to get this taken care of this week. Don't delay.

I think you can explain this to the court with the help of your PO.

Use your excellent record of appearing in court to explain that you would not purposely miss a court date.

There would be no reason to miss especially when you had maxed out.

I hope I am helping you with this information

It sucks it's all about the money that's why im scared I don't have alot I got a little girl at home and I do my best I can to provide for her and keep my child support up on the older to kids if I had the money right now it would be over

It does suck. I think the court will take this into consideration. You have to explain it.

Call the number I gave you to the law office to see if they will go to court with you. Call the PO to see if he will go to court with you.

I understand you are afraid. Why would the judge put you in jail? Your excellent record is there. You have kids to provide for? It would not serve justice to put you in jail.

Be brave and face this. Keep your head and call the PO and the legal office I gave you.

You can also show you are productively working. You are doing all the right things.

That's what im saying to I would of gone if I knew and got something I read the paper and there isn't one person who got jail time for nit paying their fines but now I have a warrant and cant sit in jail for ever or get revoked after six long years and should be done or was told I was anyway I just have a hard time trusting these people

I don't blame you for not trusting. You did all the right things for all the time you were on probation.

Except paing them off when im suppose to

You have to keep your head

Can you borrow money from anyone to make the payment?

I am sure you have thought of doing that.

MidPenn Legal Services indicates they have other Pro Bono attorneys they work with as well. Please call this number tomorrow

You are going to get through this for you and your kids. Trust in your strength and ability.

Do you understand what you have to do to get through this?

No one has it my girlfriend and the mother of my youngest daughter gets her bonus check in 2 weeks and it should be around 1800 dollars but I don't want to tell them in case something happens they will get there money somehow shortly just not sure when and income tax is around the corner my problem is the bench warrant I can't sit in jail or it will make things worse

The faster you deal with this the more likely you will not sit in jail. Make the contacts I told you this week. Pay something. Ask for a payment plan in court.

Worrying without taking action is not going to make the problem go away.

Your responsibility in taking care of this after seeing the notice in the paper will show the court you will continue to do the right thing.

Will they give me a plan if I had one before and didnt get it paid

If you had changed circumstances in finances, I think they will consider this. All they want to do is get paid. They won't get paid if they put you in jail

Do you have any credit cards to make the payments?

The court will take credit card payments

https://ujsportal.pacourts.us/ePay/Default.aspx Here is the link to ePay by credit card

I hope I have helped give you some strategies and resources. If you need to follow up with questions tomorrow or the next day please do so. If you are satisfied with my help I ask that you rate me. I will be online tonight if you think of more questions. I wish you luck with everything!

I've heard they can only hold u for 72 hrs in a bench warrant is this true,? Before getting you in front of the judge

Yes they can. That's why I want to try to arrange this through an attorney and your PO. I want it to be timed right so you don't get held or only held a brief time.