Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Approximately how expensive and complicated is it to have an…

Customer Question
approximately how expensive and complicated...
approximately how expensive and complicated is it to have an arrest record expunged. All court fees have been paid, probation completed. How long does one have to wait to do this?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
1/17/2016
Criminal Lawyer: Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor replied 2 years ago
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor

If this is an adult offense, and you are eligible for expungement, there's no waiting period so long as you are finished with your sentence. Legal Services of New Jersey has prepared a step-by-step guideline which will walk you through the entire expungement process from determining your eligibility through the filing and hearing process.

A lawyer is not necessary for an expunction, if you are comfortable with do-it-yourself lawyering. The only cost would be a $75 filing fee. I've attached the instruction manual, which contains everything you'd need. The manual was designed to make it easy for people to file for an expungement without the need for a lawyer. However, if you want a lawyer, it shouldn't cost you more than $1,500 fo the expungement. You can get a better idea of the going rate for your particular jurisdiction by contacting the New Jersey State Bar Association's Lawyer REferral Service. They can also refer you to a lawyer who can do this for you.

Here's the PDF file.