Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I have a friend who recently violated her parole by failing…

Customer Question
I have a friend who...
I have a friend who recently violated her parole by failing a drug test....she is currently in custody in ross county jail (ohio)...is there anything at all an attorney could do to help her stay outta prison or would it be a waste of time n money
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
1/17/2016
Criminal Lawyer: Barrister, Criminal Defense Law replied 2 years ago
Barrister, Criminal Defense Law

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

Can you tell me how long she has been on parole?

.

Is this the first violation?

.

What charge was she on parole for?

.

What was the test positive for?

.

.

thanks

On parole for 6 months...2nd violation...meth charges...not sure but trafficking is my best guess...the parole officer would not tell me what she failed for
I was hoping that maybe a possible house arrest for her...I know she is ready to get her life back together and can't stand thought of a great human being going to prison

Ok, thank you for that information.... To be really honest with you, if this is a 2nd violation and she has only been out 6 months, then the chances are pretty slim that she won't be revoked. However if she had an attorney, he could argue that instead of straight jailtime, she should be remanded to custody in some type of inpatient drug treatment facility as an alternative to prison. The underlying problem is drug related so if she doesn't get treatment to get to the root cause of the problem, then she will violate again when she gets out. Putting her in prison instead of treatment is just warehousing her without addressing the problem..

.

So although an attorney may not be able to keep her from getting revoked, he could potentially get her steered to a treatment facility rather than just back to prison to sit..

.

.

thanks

I just found out that it's her first violation and she has already been in the star program ...dies that change anything?
Does

Ok, if it is a first violation, that is better as the judges kind of assume someone will get a "first strike". So it would definitely improve her chances of having any parole continued, probably with some new restriction on her terms and some type of mandatory drug treatment program attendance.

.

But any time that a parole violation occurs, the chances of staying out dramatically improve if you have an attorney who knows the judge standing there arguing on your behalf. The judges may not care personally about the defendant, but they know the attorney and may lean their way out of professional courtesy.

.

.

thanks

Barrister, Criminal Defense Law