How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 37818
Experience:  30 years legal experience
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband had been giving my 25 year old niece money to get

Customer Question

My husband had been giving my 25 year old niece money to get help with her drug problem, when she started asking for more and more money he said no so she started threatening him saying she would say he molested her 15 years ago when she was 10 years old, unfortunately he deleted the texts but has a few resent ones. She also wrote a note to him saying this was over that she wouldn't text him anymore and that she would make no more threats or false accusations. What should we do he just received another text saying she is going into rehab on Monday and if he doesn't call her she will press charges when she comes out.
Please advise
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good evening,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your family's situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Quite simply, the only rational thing to do is for your husband to immediately file a formal criminal complaint with the police and accuse her of Extortion. The neither of you should have any further contact with her, whatsoever.

Continuing this charade---and especially giving her money of any amount---looks like a payoff for silence and opens up the suggestion that your husband is actually guilty of her ridiculous allegations.

Keep ALL present and future emails that you receive from your niece. She is poised to ruin your family based on her allegations, and your husband's past financial support of her is motivating her present behavior.

Regardless of whether she gets straight inn rehab or not---the best thing you and your husband can do---now and forever into the future---is cut off all ties to this very dangerous threat to you and your marriage.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am credited for assisting you.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,


Related Criminal Law Questions