How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey_ JD Your Own Question
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 26767
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Zoey_ JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

About 12yrs ago I pled guilty to a charge of forgery under

Customer Question

About 12yrs ago I pled guilty to a charge of forgery under w.s. 7-13-301. Does that subsequent conviction inhibit ownership or possession of a firearm?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Would the conviction stay on my record even though it was deferred for probation? If so, can I file pro se to get it expunged?
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 year ago.


W 7-13-301 allows for your felony to be dismissed as part of successfully completng a term of probation. Yes, the matter will stay on your record but as an arrest and a dismissal. It should not show up as a conviction.

After 10 years -- you have already 12 -- you could petition the court to expunge your case, which they are empowered do on a case-by-case basis. Although no lawyer is theoretically needed for an expunction, if you have to draft a formal petition and be prepared to argue the merits of your case before a judge, you're likely to get better results if you hire a lawyer to do it for you.

As tp your firearm rights, the state of Wyoming does not consider a deferred adjudication a conviction for any purposes, so you should be eligible for a permit in Wyoming. The greater issue, however, is that the Federal government considers deferred adjudications as a conviction for the purposes of restoring your Federal gun rights, regardless of the fact that your state doesn't. So either an expungement or a pardon would be necessary to restore your full second amendment rights.