Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

I was raped, had a rape kit conducted at the hospital, and

Customer Question
filed a case with the...
I was raped, had a rape kit conducted at the hospital, and filed a case with the police department. The person who committed this to me was arrested, but was released. The police station recently told me that this case was dropped by the DA. I'm trying to contact the DA to get more details of why and how this case was dropped. What are some of the reasons a case like this can be dropped? What are the legal parameters around dropped cases? I suspect since this individual has a strong financial background, he may have pulled some strings to get this case to be dropped. Is there anything I can do to take this up and get some justice?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Criminal Law
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
If you call me at *********, I can give you more details.
1/14/2016
Criminal Lawyer: P. Simmons, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
P. Simmons, Lawyer

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with more than 18 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help

Also, if you would like to chat on the phone, let me know and I can make that happen.

I am truly sorry for this dilemma.

The Police and the DA have what is called "discretion". This means that the police and the DA have the ability to refuse to take any particular case, for any reason they like.

There can be many reasons why the DA, in your case, chose to not bring the case. But generally speaking there are two main reasons why the DA will not prosecute

1. If the evidence in the case is not strong enough to lead to a conviction

and

2. If there are civil remedies available to the victim

In your case, if the DA refuses to prosecute, you could file a civil suit to seek justice.

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks for this information. Would it be possible to talk on the phone as there are more details I would like to explain. Please let me know if there is a phone number I can call or if you can contact me at *******.

Sorry, I can not do phone calls. However, there is a feature that other experts participate in. You will receive an option to accept phone call...if you do one of them can call you

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Can I just type the details to you ? I really need some legal advice before my advocate set up the meeting with the DA. I don't know when the DA will talk to me, but I'm thinking of call him tomorrow.
Criminal Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Thank you for your reply. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
I am a DIFFERENT CONTRIBUTOR as your previous expert had to leave.
What more information would you like to provide us and what is your specific question about that information?
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer