How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 31684
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in colorado. One of the taxis I own was totaled by a

Customer Question

I live in colorado. One of the taxis I own was totaled by a drunk driver about 4 months ago . The insurance company has paid me for the car. And am now fighting for lost wages from them. Will I possibly be awarded any punitive damages from the criminal case?? Do I need to hire an attorney or contact the da?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.

Punitive damages are a civil award, so it wouldn't be awarded in a criminal proceeding. The only thing that a criminal case can award is restitution.....which is to cover your property damage/loss.

Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

IF you want to seek punitive damages, you would have to sue in civil court.....which would require you to hire an attorney (especially if you're incorporated because a non-lawyer cannot sue on behalf of his/her corporation, LLC, etc.).