How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 3169
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My name is ***** ***** son who is 18 was driving from

Customer Question

Customer: My name is ***** ***** son who is 18 was driving from IL to AZ thru MO. While in IL I had my 27 yr old son buy for me 1 case of beer and 12 bottles of wine for me in which my 18 yr old was to transport for me back to AZ where he goes to school(ASU). While in MO my 18 yr son got picked up for speeding(7 mph over) and was given a ticket for speeding and MIP...Do I need an MO attorney?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Whats going to happen on the MIP charge?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Criminal Law Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: How long is the wait time?
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Your 18 year old son was not legally able to transport alcohol for you, and possession, even in the absence of consumption is still unlawful in all states for anyone under the legal age to drink in that state.

The prosecutor will probably be willing to give your son a break because he was not going to drink the alcohol, but he is going to need a local criminal defense attorney in MO to represent him and try to work out a deal with the prosecutor, and in this way avoid the imposition of a criminal record---because a conviction for MIP is a misdemeanor. You will need a MO attorney to help him.

If he is convicted of MIP the statute provides for being found guilty of a misdemeanor and the face up to $1000 in fines and up to 1 year in jail. Mo. Rev. Stat. § 311.325.1 Here is a link to the law:

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am credited for assisting you.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,