How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CrimDefense Your Own Question
CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 27594
Experience:  10+ years defending Misdemeanor and Felony cases.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
CrimDefense is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have been in an abusive relationship yrs.I filed a

Customer Question

I have been in an abusive relationship for 17 yrs.I filed a restraining order on him . We went to court and he got a continence because he has a lawyer. he is going to press charges and get a restraining order on me for only one incident that happened last month. he video tape me with his phone and harass me I was angry because he was following me around the house I kept telling him to stop he would not do it. I tried to grab the phone and I rip his shirt. He claimed I kicked and scratch him. he call the sheriff. Can he actually press charges and do a restraining order on me. He wants custody of the children.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  CrimDefense replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. If it can be shown that there was intent and a crime has been committed ( i.e. you struck him), then there could be grounds for the police to make an arrest and charge you. If this happens, a Judge would put in place a RO, since there was domestic violence, to keep the both of you separated. However, with your RO still pending, it would also need to be heard and it is possible that they could be put in place, thus preventing either one of you from having any contact. Now, I understand he was following you around and making you angry but you can not put your hands on him and if you tried to grab the phone and did rip his shirt and strike him ( and whatever else he alleges) the police may charge.

Expert:  CrimDefense replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

Expert:  CrimDefense replied 1 year ago.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!