How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 31729
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son arrested and imprisoned he didn't commit. DNA

Customer Question

My son arrested and imprisoned for crime he didn't commit. DNA proved him innocent. Prosecutor nulle processed the case. And will not continue to prosecute him. Can I sue?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.

It is POSSIBLE to sue for malicious prosecution and seek financial damages if charges were filed without an adequate basis and/or for an improper purpose -- such as harassing the person, ruining the person's reputation, or to knowingly place blame on someone other than the actual wrongdoer.

Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

However, if there was justification for bringing the charges, then there's no right to sue for malicious doesn't matter if the charges are dismissed or even if he was acquitted. Instead, the standard is whether or not there was any reasonable basis to bring the charges.

Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

If your son believes that he can prove that there was no adequate basis for the charges to be brought, then he could file a civil suit against the city/county.

Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

But, you likely won't have grounds to personally sue over this (any right to sue should be limited to your son).

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Basically they covered their bases. The people in the area talked against him. And the sheriff dept. Took that and run. Dna was found on a 32 year old man for raping a 12 year old girl. But he's not being charged with the murder.
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

Whether they covered their bases would depend on the facts....but if law enforcement had some justified basis for charging your son, it could likely avoid liability in a malicious prosecution claim.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. It was malicious. Let's close this case.
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

If it was malicious, then your son would have grounds to sue for malicious prosecution. He may have to go to another county or town to find a lawyer willing to assist, but it's possible to make a claim.

Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if you need anything further. If not, please take time to positively rate our conversation so I may receive credit for assisitng. Thanks!

Related Criminal Law Questions