How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 116740
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

A federal defendent that Was found guilty of a count after

Customer Question

A federal defendent that Was found guilty of a count after Being denîed The right to Self Representation, six Weeks before trial. To Deny a compendent defendent The right Self repensation, is a structural Error. And mandatea reversal. (Unîted States v Faretta), Now 3 years post verdict, he haș not been sentenced, rule 29, is not applicable, nor is inaffective assistance of counsel, prior to final judgement. No challenge of evidence.
The issue is The verdict Will undoubtedly be reversed, pursuant The Sixth Ammendant violation, Which resulted in The guilty verdict.
Is Mandamus The proper vechile to void Orders/judgement.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Mandamus is the proper vehicle to ask the appeals court to order a lower court to take action on something that the court is refusing to act upon. If the defendant is being held by judgment against them then potentially a petition for writ of habeas corpus can be used. See:
Also, if this is a post conviction matter then the motion/petition for post conviction relief based on the civil right violation of the Sixth Amendment would be the best way for you to proceed to vacate the conviction and seek a new trial or dismissal of the charges.