Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

A federal defendent that Was found guilty of a count after

Customer Question
Being denîed The right to...
A federal defendent that Was found guilty of a count after Being denîed The right to Self Representation, six Weeks before trial. To Deny a compendent defendent The right Self repensation, is a structural Error. And mandatea reversal. (Unîted States v Faretta), Now 3 years post verdict, he haș not been sentenced, rule 29, is not applicable, nor is inaffective assistance of counsel, prior to final judgement. No challenge of evidence.
The issue is The verdict Will undoubtedly be reversed, pursuant The Sixth Ammendant violation, Which resulted in The guilty verdict.
Is Mandamus The proper vechile to void Orders/judgement.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
1/5/2016
Criminal Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Mandamus is the proper vehicle to ask the appeals court to order a lower court to take action on something that the court is refusing to act upon. If the defendant is being held by judgment against them then potentially a petition for writ of habeas corpus can be used. See: http://www.uscourts.gov/forms/habeas-corpus-petitions/petition-writ-habeas-corpus-under-28-usc-ss-2241
Also, if this is a post conviction matter then the motion/petition for post conviction relief based on the civil right violation of the Sixth Amendment would be the best way for you to proceed to vacate the conviction and seek a new trial or dismissal of the charges.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer