How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CrimDefense Your Own Question
CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 27591
Experience:  10+ years defending Misdemeanor and Felony cases.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
CrimDefense is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I 't have any money right now. I just want to know if I can

Customer Question

I don't have any money right now. I just want to know if I can get a poss. of cocaine felony dropped to a misdemeanor when there was barely enough to test
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  CrimDefense replied 1 year ago.

Good morning. The site does charge a fee and I am happy to help, so please let me know if you want to proceed and I can provide you with information. If you are unable to pay, then you may want to contact customer service to close out the account. Just let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have already payed just need answer
Expert:  CrimDefense replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. Possession of cocaine is a felony, so the fact that it was such a minor amount, would not allow the State to amend the charge and drop it to a misdemeanor. The only thing they could do is change the charge to possession of drug paraphernalia but there is no misdemeanor possession of cocaine charge. However, if you are a first time offender and this was for personal use, you can speak with the prosecutor and see the court offers some type of diversion/drug court program for you to enter, to get the case dismissed. This would be a way to get the case dismissed if you do not have any legal defenses to raise. While I know it was barely enough to test, residue alone can and does often allow the State to file charges.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

Expert:  CrimDefense replied 1 year ago.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!

Related Criminal Law Questions