How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Samuel II Your Own Question
Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 27011
Experience:  Handle criminal matters in both state and federal courts.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Samuel II is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was convicted of a felony DUI in NV in 2009. I served

Customer Question

I was convicted of a felony DUI in NV in 2009. I served a6-15 year sentence and expired on 12/31/2015. I moved back to CA. NV DMV has a hold on my license stating that I can only get a restricted license if i am a resident and employed in NV. Is there any thing I can do? I spent 6+ years in prison for the third DUI in my life. There were no injuries and the judge broke the plea bargin deal. Is it ex post facto to pinish me after servimng mt sentence?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.


This is Samuel and I am sorry to hear of this situation. Unfortunately, there are no ex post facto grounds because the DMV restriction is a civil one; not criminal. Unfortunately, there is no recourse unless you move back and become the NV resident. Your alternative is to wait the 3 years from the date of expiration of your sentence. That would be 12/31/18