Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

Madame, I went to The Abbey club last Sunday, December 27th,

Customer Question
Hi sir/madame, I went to...
Hi sir/madame, I went to The Abbey club last Sunday, December 27th, 2015, in West Hollywood, California, arrived about 5:00 PM, around 6:30 PM with 3 to 4 drinks, I suddenly i felt losing control, one of my friend informed me after, that I passed out and threw up while I was at the couch around 7 to 8 PM, I didn't do any trouble or fighting incident inside, as per my friend, group of club security came who were rude and mean to me throw me outside the club and one of them just called a cab and put me inside, still unconscious while being inside the cab, I can only remember the voice of the driver, while helping me stepped outside the vehicle, asking me "are you ok?" I went inside my home building not known how I got inside, after 2 hours, I became a little conscious while seated at the lobby coach, and checked that my Rolex gold watch, Ray ban sun glasses, Amex credit card and iPhone 5 is no longer with me. It was stolen. The suspects that I'm thinking are the newly acquainted friends we met couple hours before we went to the club, the securities and the cab driver. At this time, I really don't know what to do, can I file a lawsuit against the club? I really need your advise and help. Thank you so much for reading this. All the best. My cell phone number is (**********).
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Criminal Law
12/30/2015
Criminal Lawyer: Christopher B, Esq., Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Christopher B, Esq.

My name is***** and I will be helping you with your question. This is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney client relationship.

Before discussing your question about suing the night club, it is important to note a distinction between being able to sue and your likelihood of winning if you do sue. You can almost always sue. The real question is should be what are your chances of being successful in your lawsuit. Just based on the information you provided, I believe the likelihood of you being successful against the night club in a lawsuit are small. There are a number of things you would need to prove to win. The hardest is whether what happened to you was foreseeable. To be foreseeable, you would need to prove that the night club should have known, either due to a fairly large number of prior incidents or because of a known threat to its customers, that a person would steal your belongings or that an actual employee did steal your belongings and they were acting in the scope of their employment (this will be difficult as the employee will most liekly to be found to be acting on their own accord). Even if you prove that it was foreseeable, then the issue is what would have "reasonable" for the night club to do to protect its customers. You would have to prove that the club was reasonable for your possessions being stolen when you yourself said that your friends, the cab driver, etc. could have been responsible. Can you sue the club? Yes, but you have a small can of actually prevailing. At this point without more evidence you will have a hard time being reimbursed by anyone. I would call the police and report your belongings stolen and see if they can somehow be recovered. This is probably as far as you will reasonably get.

Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if satisfied.

I see you have reviewed my answer, do you have any further questions? If not, please please positively rate my answer (there should be smiley faces or numbers from 1-5 next to my answer, a good or excellent rating would be fantastic) as that is the only way I will be compensated by the site for my work. This will not cost you anything extra and this extra step would be appreciated.

Any chance for a positive rating?

Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq., Lawyer