How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 31770
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I pled no contest to violation of protective order in 2000.

Customer Question

I pled no contest to violation of protective order in 2000.
I was 35 at the time.
I wasn't informed by my council that by doing so , that it was a lifetime sentence as far as owning firearms, had I known this , my plea would have been not guilty.
I am avid hunter and sportsman.
I have not been in any trouble prior , or since.
Is there anything I can do in the state of regain my gun rights ?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.

Was this a domestic violence matter?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How can you help?
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

It is possible that you can seek a judicial restoration of your gun rights under W. Va. law as outlined here:

Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

So, as long as this is was not a felony, you should be eligible for that procedure.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
To my knoledge, it's a misdemeanor. ....with a felony firearm sentence
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

As long as the conviction/plea was to a misdemeanor offense, it appears that you can use the judicial restoration to recover your gun rights per the link provided. You may just want to make sure of your conviction status when you speak to a lawyer to make sure you're ok to proceed before investing a great deal of time and money.