Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Criminal Justice Degree, JD with Criminal Law Concentration. Worked for the DA and U.S. Attorney.
26798026

I have been sentenced to do weekend jail time on a 5 day

Customer Question

I have been sentenced to do weekend jail time on a 5 day sentence. My paperwork does not state a surrender date or a done date. With my job Iam unable to do every weekend now the captain of the jail says he's going to issue a warrant. What should I do? I have a full time job, bought a house and a single parent of the kids. Please advice
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

Without a surrender date or a date to complete all the jail, you'll be expected to report to the jail every weekend until your sentence is complete. Usually, weekends are ordered for the purpose of allowing a person to continue to work and serve their jail time at the same time. If your job doesn't give you weekends off, you can file a motion asking the judge to (a) allow you to report to jail during your days off instead and (b) give you a set amount of time to finish the jail time. You can also request that any warrant issued by the captain be recalled based on the fact that the paperwork did not give you a clear date for reporting to the jail. If you had a lawyer helping you with the case, the first step is to contact him to get things taken care of as quickly as possible.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.