How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey_ JD Your Own Question
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 27066
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Zoey_ JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Recieved summons in structure from former employer
, i

Customer Question

Customer: ***** ***** recieved summons for trespass in structure from former employer
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: i was employed as a Home Health aide with Helping Hands, I worled with Ms C since Jan 2013. In June 2015 I had surgery and was going to return working with Ms C in Sept afer clearance from Dr/HH. However ended up moving 9/15, so I didn't return to work with Ms C. I had left my laptop at ms C in June at her house. I went to her house on 9/5 to retrieve it. they were not home, but I went in and got my laptop and left. I had a key to home. THe next am the police were called as the night shift person was using the laptop and and told the am shift that it was stolen. I verfiied that it was my laptop on phone when police were on scene. I never heard anythign more from HH or Ms C about key or these charges till I got this summons. I now live in KY and am just confused on what my next step should be? call SA offfice? laywer? HH?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Criminal Law Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: ok
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 year ago.


Are you saying that you stopped working in this household in June and then used a key in September to retrieve your laptop without the permission of the tenant of the property?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
technically. I was still assigned to Ms C case but was not working as i was on leave.
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the prompt reply.

This appears then to make out the elements of a trespass. Even if you have a key, you were no longer working at that house and you did not have permission or authority to remove your laptop. The fact that all you did was retrieve your laptop makes this case a trespass instead of a burglary, but it doesn't give you the right to just walk back into this home without permission.

Nevertheless, under all of the facts and circumstances here and the fact that technically speaking you were on leave from the position, you may very well be able to come out of this matter without a criminal conviction and without risking your license to do home health care. But this is something that would have to be negotiated.

Your next step should be to contact a criminal lawyer in the jurisdiction where this case is being charged and see how much of this he can handle for you without you having to leave Kentucky. If the complainant is sympathetic to your situation and you get a lawyer involved early, perhaps the lawyer can bargain for some kind of dismissal. Otherwise, you're going to have to address these charges in court and see if your lawyer can negotiate another sort of disposition such as a reduction to an infraction if your state allows for that or for a diversion or deferred adjudication which would allow you to avoid a trial and a conviction, if you comply with the terms of your sentence.

Related Criminal Law Questions