How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey_ JD Your Own Question
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 27492
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Zoey_ JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

A possible petty theft misdemeanor
, I got caught

Customer Question

Customer: ******* ******** and a possible petty theft misdemeanor
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I got caught shoplifing, havent had my court date. Items totaled 12.74, and first ever offense besides minor traffic violation
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Military Law Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 year ago.


What do you want to know about this situation, and in what US state did it happen?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
NC and what are possible outcomes?
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 year ago.


While this is a misdemeanor charge and technically jail is possible for such an offense, if this is the first trouble you have had with the criminal justice system, you should be able to avoid jail entirely and could probably even come out of this in some way that you don't have to carry a criminal conviction on your record.

You would be eligible, for example, for a diversion/deferral type of offer. That's a special non-incarceratory sentence where you'd be supervised for a period by the department of probation, during which time you'd have to do some community service, pay some fines, take anti-theft classes and stay out of further difficulty with the law. Once you finish that, the charges against you will be dismissed and you will be able to say that you don't have any criminal convictions.

Although you'd be eligible for something like that, or other favorable possibilities, it may be something that would have to be negotiated. So it would be a good idea if you can afford a lawyer to have one with you on your court date to work something out for you. If you can't, you can plead not guilty to keep your rights open, and then ask the judge to appoint you a free attorney.