Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer
Experience:  Numerous criminal trials ranging from traffic to murder, practicing Criminal Law for 20+ years.
11068102

Wondering if i can do an NCiC backround check before going

Customer Question

Customer: Wondering if i can do an NCiC backround check before going to purchar a rifle without the embarassment
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Yes , back in 1997-98 i was convicted of one count of falsifying information on a loan application to a federally insured institution
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Criminal Law Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: sure
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts.

Unfortunately, no. The NCIC rules do not allow anyone to other than law enforcement to access their database and then only for very limited purposes. Courts aren't even allowed to require disclosure of the NCIC information by the police or District Attorney in a criminal case.

You may be able to hire a private investigator who still has contacts within the police department and who can run an unauthorized check but it is not allowed and if they were to find out the NCIC could pursue them.