Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer
Experience:  Numerous criminal trials ranging from traffic to murder, practicing Criminal Law for 20+ years.
11068102

, I WAS SEIZED 90K FROM DEA AT HOTEL ROOM, WITH NO

Customer Question

Customer: ***** *****
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I WAS SEIZED 90K FROM DEA AT HOTEL ROOM, WITH NO EVIDENCE OF DRUGS OR ANYTHING, I WAS RELEASED 24 HOURS LATER. I GOT TOLD IF I WANTED THE MONEY BACK I NEED TO WAIT FOR A LETTER IN THE MAIL AND THEN CLAIM IT. I WORK FOR A COMPANY THAT WHOLESALES TRUCKS AND EQUIPMENT AND HANDLES MOSTLY CASH, ONLY ONE TRUCK COSTS AS MUCH AS 125K
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Criminal Law Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: OK, THIS TOOK PLACE IN COLUMBUS OHIO 5 DAYS AGO
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts.

Is there a specific question with which I could assist?

I am going to be off and on the computer for the next couple of hours so it may take a little while to get back with you. Please be patient.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I WAS SEIZED 90K FROM DEA AT HOTEL ROOM, WITH NO EVIDENCE OF DRUGS OR ANYTHING, I WAS RELEASED 24 HOURS LATER. I GOT TOLD IF I WANTED THE MONEY BACK I NEED TO WAIT FOR A LETTER IN THE MAIL ANDTHEN CLAIM IT. I WORK FOR A COMPANY THAT WHOLESALES TRUCKS AND EQUIPMENT AND HANDLES MOSTLY CASH, ONLY ONE TRUCK COSTS AS MUCH AS 125K, THIS TOOK PLACE IN COLUMBUS OHIO. WHAT CAN BE DONE BECAUSE I WANT MY MONEY BACK
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

This is going to take a little while to pick through so please be patient as I ask questions and do some research. While a forfeiture works the same in general terms, it can vary a lot on specifics depending on the department, state, etc. However, I have had extensive experience with government seizures.

Also, I am traveling and visiting with relatives over the next couple of days so I'm not going to be online as much as usual. We should still be able to work through everything reasonably quickly however.

Did they advise whether they would or absolutely would not be filing charges?

Was anyone else arrested at the same time?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hey, just to keep this going, I was not told anything about being filed charges, actually they just told to wait in the mail for a letter to be advise where and how to recover my money.
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

You are probably going to have to hire a lawyer and file a petition in federal court asking for a return of the assets. Civil asset forfeiture is usually filed for under 18 USC 983 which you can see at https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/983

If the seizure happened recently you can't be sure which type of petition to file since you are still within the statute of limitations for the government filing criminal charges. However, the lawyer can draft the petition in such a way that it covers all of the different possibilities.