How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask P. Simmons Your Own Question
P. Simmons
P. Simmons, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 34516
Experience:  16 yrs. of experience including criminal law.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
P. Simmons is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband was arrested theft under 300 I 't want to pay

Customer Question

My husband was arrested for retail theft under 300
I don't want to pay for s lawyer and just plead guilty
They have a video
Can I just go to court and plead guilty
No priors
What kind of penalty is usually given
I live in illinois
He is 76
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with more than 18 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help

Also, if you would like to chat on the phone, let me know and I can make that happen.

You CAN just show up and plea guilty.

What you are describing, it is unlikely he would receive any jail time.

When he shows up to the hearing (called the arraignment") I would expect the prosecutor to offer him a "plea bargain" or "deal". An incentive to help him take a guilty plea. Such a deal would typically include a promise there will be no jail time.

If he takes this deal? Then he can put this behind him and avoid the cost of hiring a lawyer to defend him.

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.