How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey_ JD Your Own Question
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 27452
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Zoey_ JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am from Northern VA and I got arrested today prostitution

Customer Question

Customer: Hello I am from Northern VA and I got arrested today for soliciting prostitution I responded to an add on Backpage, went to the hotel room. She asked for the money and told me that she will be back with the sext outfit. She went and the several cops came out of the side room. They sat down with me and spoke. Told me I was very cooperative. Gave me the ticket with the court date. Will I be arrested? I don't have any criminal record whatsoever.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Will I lose my job? I am very worried. The court date is after almost 3 months
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Criminal Law Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Sure
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 year ago.


Thanks for requesting me.

You have already been arrested. You just haven't been taken into custody. That is, the ticket you got is a citation in lieu of an arrest, since you were cooperative, have no criminal record, and the police have no reason to mistrust you. They believe you will show up on your court date, and as long as you do, you will get to deal with this case while at liberty.

More to come. . .

Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 year ago.

You need to have a lawyer with you on your court date if you can afford one. Typically, a charge like this gets handled with a fine, but you don't want this on your record if you can help it. So having a lawyer will allow him to negotiate something for you which could end up in a plea to a more neutral charge or in an adjudicated dismissal.

Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 year ago.

If you can afford a lawyer, have him with you on your first date, which will bee your arraignment. That's where the charges against you are formally entered into the record and you are asked how you plead to the charges.

If you are indigent and hiring a lawyer would cause you severe financial problems, you should plead not guilty at your arraignment -- to keep your rights open until you can get counseled by an attorney -- and then ask the judge to appoint you a free lawyer. The judge will adjourn the case for another date and your lawyer will be there on that date.

I don't know what else you're interested in knowing, so if this doesn't cover it, let me know by replying here on this question thread.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the answers. What will happen if I am very humble and cooperative infront of the judge and plead guilty and promise that it would never happen again. Does this situation result in the dismissal of charges?
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 year ago.

No, it does not. Pleading guilty to the charge will result in your getting a misdemeanor prostitution conviction and subject you to any sentence the judge wants to give you which is appropriate under the law for that crime. It could be anything up to a year in jail and a fine of $2,500. So you don't want to walk in and plead guilty.

Even though you did commit a crime and you admitted this to the police, under our system of law you are still considered innocent until proved guilty beyond a reasonable doubt. That means a plea of not guilty is the only one that keeps your rights open so that you can bargain for a dismissal or a reduction of charges or try the case.

A criminal defendant should NEVER plead anything other than NOT GUILTY until he knows what he's going to get in exchange for that plea. Then you can take back your not guilty plea, enter a plea of guilty or no contest and get the promised deal you want.