Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

What does a "test petition" look like compared to an actual

Customer Question

What does a "test petition" look like compared to an actual law suit and is it made public? I've got a situation where the trustees of a family trust have been causing some problems and are hiding behind the protection of a harsh no contest clause. I understand that Missouri courts allow someone to present the petition and find out if you'll be in violation of the clause or not... But do I need to have the entire formal case put together for the test or just a summary? Will the test petition be made public record or will it be more discrete than the actual filing. I am a beneficiary of the trust.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Maverick replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just Answer (“JA”)! My name is Maverick. Please note that:

(A) The information we provide is general information. No attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by communicating with me. If you want legal advice, you must consult with a local attorney in person before acting or deciding not to act based on any information given here;

(B) When I feel that I have provided you with a complete answer, I will ask for you to assign a feedback rating so that JA will compensate me for my time; and

(C) You should not be concerned about any short delays between your questions and my replies. Please know that I answer most questions within the hour if I am signed on. If I am not signed on, then I still make every attempt to respond within 24 hours.

Thank you for taking the time to understand how this site works. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Answer will follow in the pane below as per above parameters….

Expert:  Maverick replied 1 year ago.

Please take a look at the law on this issue here and let me know what further issues I may answer for you. I am stepping out of the office for a while; but should be back later to assist you....

But do I need to have the entire formal case put together for the test or just a summary?

1. It would be a determination on the no-contest clause if that is what you want to limit it to first, its your option. See the link above.

Will the test petition be made public record or will it be more discrete than the actual filing. I am a beneficiary of the trust.

2. It will be public record just like any other filing.