How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey_ JD Your Own Question
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 27425
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Zoey_ JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

, i was sentenced to 75 years tdcj in 1986. i served 14

Customer Question

Customer: ***** ***** martin
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: i was sentenced to 75 years tdcj in 1986. i served 14 and some change, i have served almost 16 years on parole. is there any chance i could file a motion for time served and be granted relilef in this matter?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Criminal Law Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: sure
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 year ago.


You'd be asking the judge who sentenced you to 75 years to resentence you to timeyou already served. Assuming that the time you have spent in jail and on parole would be allowed under the range of possible penalties for the charge(s) for which you were convicted, your motion would probably be unsuccessful.

For one thing the sentencing judge has heard all the evidence, and by giving you 75 years in the first place, he is telling you just how serious he thinks these charges are. If you bring a motion, you'd have to have some compelling reason for the judge to want to ignore the evidence he's heard and his own sentence to give you time served. Also, the DA would certainly file papers opposing your motion. The complainants, if any, would be notified for their input.

Do not think of doing this yourself without a lawyer, or at least consult with a local lawyer to see how viable your motion would be before investing a lot of time, money and energy in this process. Like all post-conviction remedies, what you're asking for is a very long, long shot. Your best chances of success would be with a lawyer, but even there, the overwhelming majority of these types of motions fail.

Another alternative, which would not, at least, require you to expend large sums of money on legal fees would be for you to apply to the governor for a commutation of your sentence. I'm attaching the application form.