How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Delta-Lawyer Your Own Question
Delta-Lawyer, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 3546
Experience:  Over A Decade Of Criminal Law Experience
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Delta-Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I took a plea deal on a conviction of luring a minor. My

Customer Question

I took a plea deal on a conviction of luring a minor. My probation officer has taken it upon herself to void the deal and make my life hell. I never had contact with a minor, was unaware she was a minor. My P.O. lies to me, degrades me, made me quit 2 jobs, is making register as a sex offender for life as high risk. Now she is trying to get me to sign a paper stating I had contact with a minor. She visits with my exwife. She is constantly having me arrested for minor infractions. Now she wants me to wear a GPS device. Do I have to just keep putting up with the abuse or do I have some legal recourse?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Delta-Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

I hope this message finds you well, present circumstances excluded. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of criminal law experience. It is a pleasure to assist you today.

As you may or may not know, the probation officer cannot force you to do anything that is not in the court order from the court in which you were convicted. If it is not in the order, the probation officer cannot force it...period. Moreover, the officer cannot force you to register as an offender unless the order mandates this or there is a statute that mandates it.

You asked if there is any mechanism for recourse. The answer is yes. You can petition the court to order a new probation officer take over your case. In the petition, you can cite what this person has been doing to you and how you have been treated. You can use this treatment as a mechanism to get away from her.

I would also report this treatment to your local ACLU office. The ACLU frequently investigates matters of abuse such as this one by government authorities. They will look into your case and even appoint a law to handle it for you when necessary. They can also apply political pressures as well.

Let me know if you have any other questions or comments. Please also rate my answer positively (three or more stars).

Best wishes going forward!

Expert:  Delta-Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

Just checking in with you to see if you have any additional questions or comments. I want you to be as comfortable as possible moving forward. Thanks!