Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

I'm on felony probation financial identity theft from one

Customer Question
I'm on felony probation for...
I'm on felony probation for non financial identity theft from one county have been charged with felony theft in another county. What can I expect to happen? First violations on both with no other criminal history for me.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
12/13/2015
Criminal Lawyer: CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty replied 2 years ago
CrimDefense
CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty

Good morning. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. Since you were on probation and picked up a new charge, being a felony, your probation officer is likely going to violate you and you could very likely be held without bond, until you go before the Judge. When on felony probation and a new felony charge is picked up, the Defendant may not be granted a bond and would have to sit in jail until the probation violation is resolved. Moreover, your probation may be revoked and the State could seek jail time and if that happens and you have no defense to the new case or the violation, you may want to try and work out a plea deal, whereby the sentences are run concurrent, if the State seeks jail time on one of this. I know it is not ideal but a term and condition of probation is not picking up any new charges and when someone does and it is for another serious offense, the prosecution is not very happy.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!

basically my probation will be revoked and I'll be facing prison time on both charges?

Possible but not automatic. A lot depends on the facts of the case. The key is to see what happens with the violation, since the burden is a lot lower for the State, to violate you and you need to see if they are seeking jail time, unless they would agree to reinstate and extend the probation term.

CrimDefense
CrimDefense
CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty