How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dwayne B. Your Own Question
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 33771
Experience:  Numerous criminal trials ranging from traffic to murder, practicing Criminal Law for 20+ years.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Dwayne B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I need help. My fiancé. Is being charged with drug

Customer Question

Hello I need help. My fiancé. Is being charged with drug paraphernalia buy/possess, traffic in Marijuana less than 8 oz 1rst offense, and TCS. 1rst degree 1rst offense..which was all in the same room as him and his brother hotel room. They are not from kentucky.. what should I do?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts.

Can you be a little more specific in your question? When we answer general ones like "what do I do" "what are my rights" or "what are my options" we have to give general answers and, invariably, the customer responds with "I already knew that". This type of forum works better if you ask specific questions so we know exactly what you are looking for.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What do I do to help my love one on his charges... and what can we expect? Is that better?
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

Let's start with this and then you can ask follow up questions as we go to clear up any issues.

The best thing you can do is hire him a lawyer ASAP. Hiring a good lawyer is even more important than bailing him out plus many lawyer will "make his bail as a part of their fee. you can find a lawyer at, in the box for Area of Practice enter Criminal Law. That website also allows you to search by geographic location.

The next thing to do is to tell him not to talk to anyone about his case. Many times the police will come in and try to get him to talk to "help himself" but they actually don't have any authority to make any deals and will lie to him (and the courts allow it) to get info. Talking to them without a lawyer will only hurt him it will not help him.

The lawyer will take care of everything on the case. In addition, they may even be able to get the bond lowered from wherever it is set now.

Please ask any follow up questions in this thread. I want to be sure all of your questions are answered so feel free to ask.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That is what I thought.. what do u think the min and the max amount will be to seek a lawyer?
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

The minimum would likely be $3500, but that is an absolute minimum and assuming it is a felony that doesn't require a trial. It's hard to guess a maximum but you could count on $7500-$12500 as being a range if it is going to require a trial.

Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

That's for a lawyer that is good or better.

Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

If they're much cheaper than that they they probably aren't planning on putting the time in that they need to.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you know how much time he is facing?
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

No, it depends on the exact charges. Most crimes, including drug crimes, can be charged in several different ways. Usually the District Attorney charges the defendant with the most severe charge possible, even though they may have doubts as to whether or not they can actually prove that one. That makes the defendant scared of the possibility of the higher sentence and they are more likely to plead to a lighter charge.

If this is a first offense and he gets a good lawyer then he stands a reasonable chance of getting probation.