MIAMILAW1127
MIAMILAW1127, Criminal Defense Lawyer
Experience:  Founding Partner at Moises Law, P.A.
89829185

I just sealed a juvenile record that involved a offense

Customer Question

I just sealed a juvenile record that involved a sexual offense which the court ruled it to be dismissed with out predjuce. Can I work anywhere with children?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  MIAMILAW1127 replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Thank you for contacting me. I am a consultant here and I am looking forward to assisting you with your question. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Please be patient as I will be typing my responses to you from scratch. Also, I can only answer/address the questions you ask specifically based on the information your provide. Please try to provide as much information as possible so I can best assist you.

Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

The sealed record may not come up in a standard background check (if that is what you are asking). However, a sealed record is available in the following instances:

"A sealed record is still accessible to law enforcement officers, county attorneys, city attorneys, and a sentencing judge in a separate case you may be involved with. Sealed records can also be inspected under certain circumstances by:

 The person whose record has been sealed, upon appropriate application to the court;

 By a court or by a person allowed by a court order to inspect the record for “good cause shown”;

 By request of a person in a civil law suit that is based on the circumstances contained in the sealed record;

 Persons engaged in bona fide research, but only if the research protects the confidentiality of the sealed record;

 The Nebraska Probation System; and

 The Department of Health and Human Services."

I hope this helps. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have applied to work at a nonprofit agency that deals with abused children. I just wanted to know if they do figure printing and background check I am ok?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
finger*

Unfortunately, I cannot tell you for sure.

You should be ok because you sealed the record.

However, they can go through one of the exceptions to get passed the seal.

It all depends on the type of background check they are doing.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What is this exception? All they told me is that they are doing a finger print scan and background check through DCS. This agency is a privet non-profit agency.

I understand, but there are different types of background checks that they can do. Some background checks (depending on who is doing them and for what reason) allow access to sealed records.

While it is unlikely that they will be able to get past the sealed record, it is still a possibility.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. I looked at my order and it said privet agencies can not look up records with out the approval of the judge. So that means I should be ok. I was making sure since this is a delinquent act that was dismissed meant that my chances for jobs were not gone when it comes to working with children.

I understand. What I am saying is, when they see that a record has been sealed, they may ask the judge for permission to see it. It all depends how far/deep they want to go.