Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

A man with a badge showed up at my door last night,

Customer Question

A man with a badge showed up at my door last night, presumably to serve a subpoena. Is there a way to find out who it is from and what it is regarding?
I am dealing with some issues with the IRS, but I have a paid representative, and they are supposed to go through him. Is that something they might or can do?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note:This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about this situation. Assuming that this is the IRS, then what someone in your situation has to do is to get their paid representative to call the agent running the audit (or whatever the matter is) and ask if you have been subpoenaed. It is not uncommon for people being audited to be subpoenaed, and a subpoena has to be sent to the person, and not to their representative. This is why it likely went to you directly. It is not unusual for IRS agents to subpoena people being audited, etc, without prior notice - it is at their discretion. One would then have typically a few weeks to respond with the paperwork requested or object to it in federal Court.

If this is a civil matter, then one may be able to find out what this is about if the case is IN THE JURISDICTION where you live. If you tell me what city/town and county this is in, I can tell you where to look.

However, I wager that it would be a big coincidence if this was anything else other than an IRS subpoena, given what you have told me.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.

Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Hello again. This is a courtesy check in to see if you needed anything else in regards ***** ***** question. I am simply touching base. Let me know. Thanks!