How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 30180
Experience:  Criminal Justice Degree, JD with Criminal Law Concentration. Worked for the DA and U.S. Attorney.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was in a traffic accident at which I was t from the rear,

Customer Question

I was in a traffic accident at which I was hit from the rear, while I was at the hospital the police came in and informed me that my license were suspended and I was cited for driving with a suspended license. Needless to say I asked how and why and I found out that I had a bench warrant out on me for missing a court date in November 2014. At that time in November my son had passed away from brain cancer, and then there was Thanksgiving; All of which I was in no right place of mind to even remember a court date. I then proceeded to turn myself in to the county that had the warrant and posted the cash bail amount, paid the ticket, and got my license reinstated. I have to go to court on January 7th 2016 to face charges of driving on a suspended license, I can't afford an attorney yet I need to know how to proceed without getting my license suspended again or going to jail. Can you please advise me on this? Should I plead nolo or just throw myself at the mercy of the court?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.


I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry for your loss.

You have a legal right to have an attorney represent you on these charges. That means, when you go to court, if you cannot afford a lawyer, one will be appointed for you at no charge. Your lawyer can enter a plea of not guilty and request a trial, which buys you time to negotiate a deal with the DA. Under the circumstances, if you can bring in evidence of your son's illness, it's possible that you'll be able to get a reduced sentence. But legally, they cannot put you in jail without first giving you a free lawyer if you can't afford to hire one yourself. That's your right under the Sixth Amendment.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.